Lone duckling...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I hatched out five ducklings. And the one that hatch last I had to really help, well, now he is really atta,hed to me, and wont go near the other ducklings. And the older ducings keep beating him up. Would he be ok in his own brooder, with a stuffed animal, and being held all the time by me? Or should I take the chance that the others hurt him? (which I REALLY dont want to do)

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Give the little one a day or so on its own to gain strength then put it in with the others. Given the chance to fluff up properly and gain some control of its muscles it will fair better in with the other 4.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Ok, thank you. He gets to be with them many times a day during feeding (when they are babies I dont feed them inside brooder, to messy) so he still is soical with them, but when I can see him all the time.... So he doesnt get hurt [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    He should be okay. Just give him some time. I had a 4 day late hatch and added it to the family at ~2 days old.

You can see the size difference. He would get knocked around a bit but was fine.

[​IMG]

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:OH MY that is sooo cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by