Lone Hen left after fox attack

Angmaria

Hatching
May 18, 2022
Unfortunately we have lost all but one of our flock to 2 foxes last night. We are obviously very upset and have done our best to secure the area for the surviving hen. She is four years old and i imagine traumatised. My question is when we are confident that the areas is 100 %safe should we leave her on her own or try to introduce some a couple of new hen "friends"? She is very independent and a bit of a feisty one so I'm not sure what to do for the best, we don't want her to be lonely nor do we want to stress her any more....

Quarantine new birds for at least 3 weeks, as far away from your hen as possible, then seperate them from her with fencing so they fan get used to each other firms a few weeks

Thanks, so you think it would be better to introduce some more rather than leaving her on her own given that she's a stroppy little madam with a history of anti-social behaviour? (needed to put peeky blinder things on her eyes a while back due to her bullying the others which to be fair did work....)

What's her breed? Irrespective of breed, I'd for sure get a few more for several reasons: a)chickens really do prefer a flock, not to live as only child. That said, my oldest lady is bonded with my dog and cat too, haha. My oldest lady is a BO though, she's top lady but in a very respectful, tactful way. That's why I asked breed. If my top lady was a RIR bully for instance, I'd say that when I do a new integration, I'd take a loooong careful time like suggested already. And b) shes not real young anymore, you could lose her too, to a natural death sometime in the near future. So sorry about the attack! I just lost one to Hawk, it was horrible. I hope you have fun adding some newbies and I hope she does a full recovery!!

OH also, WELCOME to BYC!! It's hands down the best Internet resource. I started chickens not long after BYC started and it's been my one and only "go to." SO much better than the "chickens for dummies," or some book like that I bought, hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom