Lone Partridge?

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
In my town we have a sort of outdoor bird exhibition (supposedly theyre rescues but Ive never liked how open they are to the public, being fed through bars, scared by kids and dogs)- it consists of mainly budgies, canaries, parrots, a few quail- in a large divided aviary.
I hadn't been in a while, but observing the birds yesterday I noticed in the three sections each one had a single pheasant, and in one, a single partridge.

I don't know the breed, it was small, white/cream coloured with red legs. I couldn't see any other partridge.
It looked pretty miserable, hunched up in the corner. Shut down-- I also noticed what looked to be a small absess under one eye, it was unable to fully open the eye.

I think I'll contact the aviary and just ask about this, perhaps flag the concern as they admit they often miss bad health in the birds- but first wanted to know some things.

Any idea what breed it was? (I know nothing about partridge).
Are they okay living like this, alone, but in an aviary with parrots, and a pheasant?

Awww, the poor thing. :( Doesn't sound like an ideal set-up, no. Do you know if the birds are checked over by a vet before being placed in these aviaries?

Yes, contact them and enquire about the poor partridge. That doesn't seem right to me.

Awww, the poor thing. :( Doesn't sound like an ideal set-up, no. Do you know if the birds are checked over by a vet before being placed in these aviaries?

Yes, contact them and enquire about the poor partridge. That doesn't seem right to me.
I'm not sure, but I assume this bird has been there for a while as they aren't taking in many birds anymore due to bird flu-- I'll have a word with the volunteers and see what's going on.
Any clue what breed it is? I can't find a lot of info online

So to update
They got back to me and said they have had the partridge checked by a vet, I was correct, there is an abscess under the eye but they don't believe its an issue.

They also confirmed that the bird is alone, and told me the reason is that in an aviary environment, it would kill other males or females.
Which I just don't buy. And if that's exclusively "in an aviary environment", then why is the bird in an aviary?

I'm not convinced, and I've lost respect for the volunteers there
but what do I know :confused:

Back
Top Bottom