Lonely boy..

Jun 18, 2020
Central NY
I lost my female guinea yesterday to a respiratory infection. Even though they were in with my mixed flock of birds my male seems to be lonely without her. From the day we brought them home they have been inseparable. They were brooded with six chicks, and while they protect them the guineas were 2 peas in a pod. He is about 6 months old. Should I find him a new mate or will he adjust over time? We do plan on getting more keets in the spring.

Thank you. I just feel so bad for him. I just want to grab him and hug him, but he isn't much of a people guy. Lol. He still has his easter egger girls so hopefully they will cheer him up. Plus I have a 30+ mixed flock.

Attachments

• 20200828_175449.jpg
    20200828_175449.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 6
hard to say with Guineas - some seem to move on, some seem to never find another mate - since he is only 6 months old, my guess would be that he will be open to finding a new Guinea girl friend - I would wait until the spring mostly because I find it hard to add new birds in winter - may also not work for the Guinea girl to be relocated and he may not even like her, so I think odds are that your best bet is to add the keets you were planning to add in the spring since he has other company for now - poor guy

Back
Top Bottom