Lonely Chick :( Please Help!!!

adcockfarm

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Southern California
Hi we have two 5 week olds, 3 hens, and a lonely white leghorn aged almost 1 week. it chirps all the time and seeks attention from the older chicks occasionally when we are not there, but mostly from us. we hold her a LOT... any ideas to help? i feel bad for it... chicken-toys? treats? Help!

(and no, we can not get another chick)

Last edited:
I want to give you meaningful advice but I don't know where on earth you reside, deserts of the Middle East, South Pacific, North Dakota or Florida. It makes a difference. Fill out your profile as to "location" please, please.

Generally, you will be able to solve the biggest part of your problem with a lonely lone chick by placing it in proximity to other chickens. Many people find themselves with one baby chick, period, and that's much harder to deal with.

It can be as simple as letting it visit with the older chickens from the safety of a cage. In fact, I would first integrate the new one with the older chicks by means of a partition in a pen. Let them get acquainted, then in a few weeks, put them together.

Day trips out to visit with the older flock is a great way to begin integration. Pick nice days and bring them back as it gets cool. Even at a couple weeks old, chicks are able to spend time away from heat and it helps acclimate them to cooler temps.

The time to get started is now.

I know we're you are coming from we have raised a few chicks by them selfs, my best advice is to spend as much time with her as possible also you can put a stuffed animal in with her

thanks! next step: introducing to the 5 week olds
big_smile.png

Someone posted a picture of feather dusters they hung for chicks to go under and walk through as if it were mama hen. (Maybe Blooie?).
I have a sick chick alone at the moment and it loves having my soft skirt hung loose above it, it goes back under whenever it feels like some security or comfort and makes more contented noises.

I want to give you meaningful advice but I don't know where on earth you reside, deserts of the Middle East, South Pacific, North Dakota or Florida. It makes a difference. Fill out your profile as to "location" please, please.

Generally, you will be able to solve the biggest part of your problem with a lonely lone chick by placing it in proximity to other chickens. Many people find themselves with one baby chick, period, and that's much harder to deal with.

It can be as simple as letting it visit with the older chickens from the safety of a cage. In fact, I would first integrate the new one with the older chicks by means of a partition in a pen. Let them get acquainted, then in a few weeks, put them together.

Day trips out to visit with the older flock is a great way to begin integration. Pick nice days and bring them back as it gets cool. Even at a couple weeks old, chicks are able to spend time away from heat and it helps acclimate them to cooler temps.

The time to get started is now.
Ditto All Dat^^^

Thanks!!! her cage is next to the 5 week olds but there is a barrier so it is hard for her to see them and she tries to get to them by jumping sometimes. they are very interested in each other. we put our hands in front of her and put her in the 5 week olds cage, they try to come to her, we have to keep them apart in fear she will get pecked. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Thanks!!! her cage is next to the 5 week olds but there is a barrier so it is hard for her to see them and she tries to get to them by jumping sometimes. they are very interested in each other. we put our hands in front of her and put her in the 5 week olds cage, they try to come to her, we have to keep them apart in fear she will get pecked. Thanks again!
big_smile.png
Best if the barrier is small mesh so they can see each other but not peck?
You might want to try to put one of the older chicks in with her....see what happens.
Start some chicken juggling...
.....moving them back and forth between the two enclosures, leaving them for as long as no beatings happen, then switching them up again.

Will that be ok considering she doesn't even have any feathers yet and they are 5 weeks?
so like...

put chick with older chicks
chick gets pecked
put chick by herself
start over?
Thanks!!!

nice coop btw

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom