Lonely chick: will my other egg hatch? Should I get it a friend right now?

stepheuniie

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2021
Hi everyone!
I've learned a lot about raising my chicks here, but this is my first time posting a question :)

We're currently at day 22 of incubation, with only 2 eggs in the incubator. We only put two as a "test" to see if our young silkie couple had started mating because we still struggle to candle eggs before they spent a couple of days in the incubator and veins are finally showing. But our couple got killed by a raccoon on day 3 of this incubation test (😢 ) and the eggs were fertilized so we continued the incubation. At the last candling before lockdown, we observed that one of the chicks seemed "less developed" than the other one. I don't think it was dead, as we could see veins and no blood ring, but it seemed more like a "day 15-16" chick while the other one was fully developed.

Right now, only one of the chicks has hatched, the fully developed one. Still no pip on the other one. The little one is struggling to understand how to eat and drink by itself, and of course, it must be super lonely, though we are really giving it all the attention and care we can.

Is there a chance that the other one will just hatch "late" as it was not as developed? We had chicks hatching on day 23-24, but they always seem as developed as the other ones. Is it possible that the two chicks didn't develop at the same rate? Or was it just already dead and we did not see it?

Also, we know that chicks are not supposed to be alone, so we're thinking about getting another one in case the other chick doesn't hatch. Should we get a chick of the same age? It's a silkie so it's pretty small, we don't want to get a bigger one that would attack it. We never had to combine chicks that were not from the same hatching batch so we're a little worried about them not getting along, as is often the case with hens.

Can't wait to hear back from you! :)

:welcome I'd provide a mirror for company until it is determined whether or not the second egg will hatch. If it does not hatch, I would buy at least two chicks for company.

Thanks for your help and for responding so quickly! I'll start looking for two other ones right now. As it's a little 1 day-old silkie, would it be better to get a chick from the same size and same age, or slightly older/bigger chicks would be ok too?
:welcome I'd provide a mirror for company until it is determined whether or not the second egg will hatch. If it does not hatch, I would buy at least two chicks for company.

I've hatched chickens and ducklings together they were great friends but the chicks would freak out when the ducklings went to swim. I never raise chicks alone. It doesn't matter really what you put in with chick but about same age or within a few days makes a big difference. Try Craigslist if your feed store doesn't have chicks. I've never put turkeys with chicks the size may be too much for the chick.

Back
Top Bottom