1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lonely chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Naz3, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Naz3

Naz3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    One of my 3 baby chicks (all about 3 months old,living with mum and dad) appears 2 b seperating herself from the others...she sits on her own in the garden and seems very timid wen i approach her..the others seem 2 avoid her,but do protect her if i get too close...wats rong with her??please help!!

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    sometimes they do this ...but she might also be sick and not wanting to be around them...are they mean to her when she is near them? if so put her in a cage by herself and feed her and see if it helps some. she might be so little she isnt getting enough to eat...I have had to do this before and it helped alot...

3. nhchicky

nhchicky New Egg

Jul 17, 2007
    New Hampshire, USA
    Just as a note we had one chick in our original batch of chicks (about 4 years ago) who did this. We were really worried about her but she was fine. She just likes to be on her own. She is now 4 years old and still behaves like this (avoiding the other chickens). Might just be her personality?

4. Backyardfarmer

Backyardfarmer New Egg

Jul 14, 2007
    Simmilar problem, my chicks behaved the same way, one going off by her self, she still dose it but is ne of the friendliest of the bunch. I would recoment holding her and getting her used to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by