Lonely Chick

ellimf

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
I have a single bantam Bearded D'Uccle day-old chick. He is having a bit of a tough go. He had curled toes, which we have started treatment for with some little shoes/splints. But he is lonely and he sits in the same spot in the brooder and chirps. I am not sure he is eating or drinking. I want to get him some little friends, in hopes they will perk him up and kind of encourage him to eat and drink. I can't find any bantam chicks in my area, though. I did find two week old bantams, would it be okay to put a couple of them in with him? Or will they bully him?

I can also get day-old regular size chicks, but again, worried they will bully him because he is smaller.

Advice please!

Generally, it's the older chickens that bully the newbies. Young chicks usually don't care much. It should be safe to get a few more day old chicks. I wouldn't recommend getting two week olds. Also, chickens are flock animals. They usually do badly when they're alone, you have to have at least two chickens. But you have the right idea with getting more :)

Day old chicks have no idea how to bully other chicks. They haven't organized their pecking order yet. However, two week old chicks are a different story. Your best option is to get him some friends that are his same age. Put them in at night and they'll be friends in morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom