Lonely Chick

Jasper_899

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Alaska
I have one lonely little Ameraucana chick and Im not sure what I can do to keep the little guy entertained during the day. He just hatched 3 days ago on day 19 so he was pretty early, but hes healthy and active. I started with 9 eggs and only had 4 left on lock down, yesterday was day 21 and I had no pips and I just had a feeling they weren't going to hatch so I slowly broke them open and what do you know, 3 dead fully formed chicks
hmm.png
One was pretty smelly I'm guessing that one quite right before lock down. But the other two looked just like the little guy except they were dead and one was black and the other was white.
Ohh well I'm just glad I got one chick, that was my first time ever hatching eggs and I didn't expect all of them to make it. And they were shipped quite aways.

I was just wondering if there was something I could do to make him less lonely. I cant get another chick. Is there anything else other than that I could do?
Also, when do they start eating? Hes pecking at food, but not eating it like I usually see chicks eat, but he does drink a lot of water.

Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
You can try a feather duster, a small stuffed animal, or a mirror to give the chick some company. Odds are it will imprint on you and be very lonely when you are not around.

Good luck! This one may not be easy.

Quote:
I put 2 stuffed animals in there that look like chickens
lol.png

I think it has already imprinted >.< But I guess thats not a bad thing except when I have school, but my zoology teacher said he will let me bring the chick to school during the weeks when it gets bigger so that would be good.
Thanks ^.^

Back
Top Bottom