GoldpartridgeHen

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2018
England
My Coop
My Coop
I had four chickens
the first was very weak and died abt half a year old. The second was looking down in the dumps and finally tripped over a root and badly hurt itself abt a year ago, and died. The third died a week ago for no understandable reason. (???) the fourth is fairly strong and healthy but it is missing its friends and doesn't lay eggs consistently. It also appears to be very lonely at times

I am considering giving to anther friend who has chickens
is this a good move to take or not?

well that all depends. how many and what are the living condition of the others.... flocks don't like to take in new birds easily. I find that since mine free range, they do better than those that live in runs or tractors, as the newbie can go elsewhere during the day. I also only introduce birds in at least pairs. I have 5 new chicks who will eventually join the flock but may remain a separate subflock. You might be better off starting chicken math and getting 3 new chicks to join yours,

I had four chickens
the first was very weak and died abt half a year old. The second was looking down in the dumps and finally tripped over a root and badly hurt itself abt a year ago, and died. The third died a week ago for no understandable reason. (???) the fourth is fairly strong and healthy but it is missing its friends and doesn't lay eggs consistently. It also appears to be very lonely at times

I am considering giving to anther friend who has chickens
is this a good move to take or not?[/QU

well that all depends. how many and what are the living condition of the others.... flocks don't like to take in new birds easily. I find that since mine free range, they do better than those that live in runs or tractors, as the newbie can go elsewhere during the day. I also only introduce birds in at least pairs. I have 5 new chicks who will eventually join the flock but may remain a separate subflock. You might be better off starting chicken math and getting 3 new chicks to join yours,

This is a good point - if adding chickens to your flock is a possibility, it would be the better option.

Back
Top Bottom