lonely chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BielefelderHen, Mar 27, 2018.

1. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I had four chickens
    the first was very weak and died abt half a year old. The second was looking down in the dumps and finally tripped over a root and badly hurt itself abt a year ago, and died. The third died a week ago for no understandable reason. (???) the fourth is fairly strong and healthy but it is missing its friends and doesn't lay eggs consistently. It also appears to be very lonely at times

I am considering giving to anther friend who has chickens
    is this a good move to take or not?

2. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I would say that is a certainly not a bad move, especially if you are losing sleep over worrying about it. Chickens certainly seem happier and more active in a social environment.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  3. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I have heard that from other people also so I will probably do that as soon as I can
    thanks

4. Margaretlumley01

Margaretlumley01 Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    Mn.
    Good idea

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Songster

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    well that all depends. how many and what are the living condition of the others.... flocks don't like to take in new birds easily. I find that since mine free range, they do better than those that live in runs or tractors, as the newbie can go elsewhere during the day. I also only introduce birds in at least pairs. I have 5 new chicks who will eventually join the flock but may remain a separate subflock. You might be better off starting chicken math and getting 3 new chicks to join yours,

ChooksNQuilts and drewskimac like this.
  6. drewskimac

drewskimac Songster

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    This is a good point - if adding chickens to your flock is a possibility, it would be the better option.

N Sully likes this.
  7. N Sully

N Sully Songster

Sep 4, 2017
    South Dakota
    Also not knowing what caused the others death, you might bring and infect her flock.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  8. silkie10

silkie10 Songster

May 3, 2017
    Carthage, NC
    I would give her away if you are not willing to get any more chickens. She would be fine with even just one friend.

9. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: