Lonely Chicken?

Cochin4000

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
My chicken Quinn, is about 12 weeks and hasn’t started laying. She stays in the coop alone all day and just roosts in the same spot. I picked her up and set her outside with the others but she just went to the planter and roosts on the edge. She doesn’t eat as much as she did and she doesn’t move other than a couple inches. It’s not a bully problem and her sister comes to roost next to her for a few minutes. Do you know what it could be? Is it a disease or depression maybe. All the chickens were staying in the coop this week except for today when they all, except for Quinn, started to come out. It’s been windy and rained for a little bit, the temperatures have dropped about 20 degrees the past couple days. Is it a weather behavior?

Hmmm... She could be sick. Is she lethargic? How about her poop - is it normal or is she pooping at all? Check her crop. If it’s squishy like a water balloon, she might have sour crop. Could she have a parasite problem? Hope this helps a little and hope she feels better soon!

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom