Lonely Chicken

Sep 19, 2020
Hi all! I have had a flock of 3 hens for a while now (they were all 5-7 years old!) but I recently lost 2 birds to some predators. I have only one Welsummer hen left and it’s only been a day since she’s been without her friends and she already seems very lonely and confused. I am getting 3 ducklings in around a month( decided before the 2 birds passed) and was planning to introduce them and maybe co-habitat them once they were fully feathered. Is this an okay idea? Will the ducks be enough for my chicken or will she still be lonely? Should I get some more chickens as well? I had been thinking(again before the death of 2) of getting some smaller chicken eventually, not sure what breed though. Should I scrap this idea and go with a larger breed? Any help is extremely appreciated! I’ve heard of lonely chickens refusing to eat or drink and as my hen has had some heath issues in the past, I really want to avoid that! She is super sweet and calm and I hate seeing her so lonely, please help!!

I would get another chicken or two to keep her company. If you want bantams, but are worried about size, there are bantam breeds bigger than other (cochin, brahma, some silkies), and avoid the really tiny ones.
Okay! I have a friend a friend that breeds Sermas and says they have great personalities, I don’t know much about the breed, are they too small? Thanks!

Okay! I have a friend a friend that breeds Sermas and says they have great personalities, I don’t know much about the breed, are they too small? Thanks!
Seramas are the smallest chicken breed in the world, so I think they are too small to live with a standard chicken. Their max size is about 16oz, but they are often smaller (some are under 8oz!)

Back
Top Bottom