Lonely chicken

penny131

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
I would love some advice because I am stuck what to do. In March we bought our first little flock. They have all gotten along really well since day 1. In may we bought four polish chicks and did the slow integration into the existing flock. It took some time but eventually they all got along pretty well. The four polish kinda did their own thing and pretty much just hung out together all day and huddled together at night. Last week we randomly had two of the polishes die and then another started to crow so we had to rehome him. So now we have just this one polish hen and she seems so lonely. They others don’t hurt her but they also don’t really keep her around them. She pretty much spends the day alone trying to find her friends, and sleeps in her own corner of the coop. I’m totally so sad for her. Is there anything I can do? Would getting another polish help her at all or would it just make problems?

I would love some advice because I am stuck what to do. In March we bought our first little flock. They have all gotten along really well since day 1. In may we bought four polish chicks and did the slow integration into the existing flock. It took some time but eventually they all got along pretty well. The four polish kinda did their own thing and pretty much just hung out together all day and huddled together at night. Last week we randomly had two of the polishes die and then another started to crow so we had to rehome him. So now we have just this one polish hen and she seems so lonely. They others don’t hurt her but they also don’t really keep her around them. She pretty much spends the day alone trying to find her friends, and sleeps in her own corner of the coop. I’m totally so sad for her. Is there anything I can do? Would getting another polish help her at all or would it just make problems?
Maybe give her a few more days to make any decisions

Do I just get one other so she doesn’t get singled out by two or three others? Yes I’d been worried about that. So far we have not had issues with the picking. A little when we first introduced everyone but we have 3 silkies too that are part of the original flock so it just hasn’t phased them much.

Do I just get one other so she doesn’t get singled out by two or three others? Yes I’d been worried about that. So far we have not had issues with the picking. A little when we first introduced everyone but we have 3 silkies too that are part of the original flock so it just hasn’t phased them much.
These are flock animals, so more is always better. That being said, only you know how many your situation can handle. I would at the very least get one.

Back
Top Bottom