Lonely Duck Please Help

Savy33

Hatching
Apr 28, 2016
Okay so I am really interesting in getting a pet duck. Not 2 just 1. I want it to imprint on me but I have school 7 hours a day and I don't want him to get lonely, also I am willing to sleep with him..but I am scared I will crush the little guy..any advice?

I raised my house duck this way. I gave him two stuffed animal ducks to cuddle with while I was at school and when I got him I played and cuddled him until it was time for duckling bedtime. I kept his brooder in my room so he could see and hear me. Though his light and his peeping made sleeping hard. Some people give solo ducklings a mirror along with a stuffed animal so they feel less alone. Spend time with them when you get home and they'll be happy.

Please keep in mind that ducks can live quite long lives, so you might be leaving high school with a duck still at home that has bonded with you. If you have a duck that imprints on you it may never mate with another duck, because it believes itself to be human.

I understand that it's possible for ducks to live this way, but if a duck is raised this way it can likely never be introduced to a domestic flock or even live outdoors.

It will be very stressful on the duck to be alone for so many hours of the day. I would suggest a minimum of two so they have a more constant companion. Ducks are too social to keep one alone so it is not fair to the duck.

You should think of the long term, will you always be able to give your duck the same amount of constant attention it's whole life? And what happens to it when you go away on vacation or you can't be with it for whatever reason? I can tell with my two that they must be together always, they sleep together touching, they follow each other around and get upset when the other is not with them. I think you would have a very depressed duck on your hands.

I originally bought three ducklings from an ad I seen on Kijiji.
I posted an ad looking for Call ducklings the following week. A breeder of Call ducklings only had one black one left because the first buyer only wanted the yellow ducklings. The poor little thing cried all the time before it came here. It is a week older than my other three. When I popped him in with the others he snuggled right up to them and is a very happy little duckling now.
I really isn't fair to only have one duck. Two are as easy to care for as one. They are much happier having another duck to play, cuddle and learn duck things with. When you were little did you only want to play with your Mom and by yourself? Ducklings and Ducks need another duck for security and companionship.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom