Lonely Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitylindsey, Jun 25, 2016.

1. kaitylindsey

kaitylindsey New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    One of my two ducks died yesterday and my mom and I are worried that the one duck will get lonely. We have a few chickens, but he always chases the hens off, and he doesn't get along with the rooster. I suggested that we could get another duck, but we're not quite sure how we would introduce them. Should we get another duck, or should we try, I guess, "merging" him into the chicken flock.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i'd get another duck and introduce them to each other gradually

3. BarrerasDucks

BarrerasDucks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    I would suggest getting another possibly.

I don't trust Roosters to be honest. Ducks are much easier.to I trounce to each other. They are not only smarter but less violent. Keep them all separated by poultry wire. They need to see each other but it's only like a week. Mine have always integrated nicely

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Be careful he is not trying to mate with the chickens as his drake anatomy can kill them.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

My Ducks do not like my chickens at all.
    I would get another Duck. They need another Duck to live with. As far as introducing them goes, I have never had a problem. Got a new Call hen and just put her in with the three I have and they continued on as if they have been together forever.
    No fighting, nothing as violent as Chickens...A bit of Quacking and that was it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by