Lonely girl

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I've let the mother hens do the hatching and raising lately. They do fine, but the issue I've run into is i had one batch that only one lived to hatch date, making her a loner. Well after the mama was done with her, little by little my flock turned on her and try to kill her off horrifically. So I put her in a cage they can see her in without getting to her, did that for a month, tried again, within an hr I had to rescue her from over half the flock chasing her. So now I've put three of the nicer chickens with her for two months. They don't peck her or bully her. But she's like anxious Annie, scared to death of all chickens and people. If I add all of them into the flock again, I'm sure they will still isolate her, because she's so skittish she won't be able to integrate. I hate this so much she was my first grandchicken

How old is the chicken now??? If you see the chickens that bully the little one, you can isolate them for a while. When they return, they may be the ones that are picked on..(viewed as newcomers)
I don't have magic answers without physically being with your flock, and seeing the dynamics.
Are there enough escape areas and hiding spots for the lower pecking order chickens to escape to??? Out of sight is the ideal strategy for lower pecking order chicken to stay safe. Generally a chicken does not recognize another chicken that is further than 3 or 4 feet. That means if run area is large, chickens usually wont get into confrontations very often.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

My run is big enough for my chickens in numbers, but not large. The chick is about 6 months old now almost the size of a regular hen.
I can't isolate the bullies, because its damn near all of them. Different ones start it, then she runs and squawks and the entire flock chases her and acts like she's a mouse. They chase her relentlessly into all the hiding spots , cornering her etc.
I will try again maybe soon, but it's getting cold here, not a great time to try again

Back
Top Bottom