lonely hen gets cold

michael777

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2018
Colorado
How cold can a single hen, in a coop built for 4 birds,extra straw in there to take up space, survive with no heat source. The coop does close up but door is not tight. just a temporary wood flap.

How cold can a single hen, in a coop built for 4 birds,extra straw in there to take up space, survive with no heat source. The coop does close up but door is not tight. just a temporary wood flap.
I had a cockerel spend the winter alone in a section of a large coop and he was fine.
Be careful tightening up the coop and trying to 'hold heat'....they need ventilation too.
Birds keep themselves warm, those feathers are incredibly insulative, they need to be dry and out of any strong drafts.
Be very careful with any heat source...and the electrical connections that power it.

I had a cockerel spend the winter alone in a section of a large coop and he was fine.
Be careful tightening up the coop and trying to 'hold heat'....they need ventilation too.
Birds keep themselves warm, those feathers are incredibly insulative, they need to be dry and out of any strong drafts.
Be very careful with any heat source...and the electrical connections that power it.
Hmmm... good point. Gonna have to check that. Heat "source" is a duct run from the house. No heat lamps as I've heard to many negative things. Thanks

Heat "source" is a duct run from the house.
Well, that's interesting!!
Hope it's damped down quite a ways.
Got pics?

Oh, and Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-8_12-4-39.png

Agree that she needs friends, but I like the duct idea. You don't want your coop sealed up. You need a lot of ventilation. Moisture from your chicken's breath and droppings are more of a concern than temps. Just make sure that ventilation isn't causing drafts on the roosting area.

Back
Top Bottom