Lonely hen with leaky vent - worried about introducing another

they can also bond to non-chickens. I have a tiny little hen that has bonded with a HUGE dog. She sleeps next to the dog. They nap together and sleep next to each other at night.
Hahaha, that sounds lovely :) Sadly the only non-chicken round here (apart from humans) is the cat who is so scared of the chicken that she won't go in the back garden anymore :confused:

Just sharing my own experience: I had a cochin hen with a leaky butt. I got her as an adult as one of my very first chickens so I actually didn't know that wasn't normal, I just thought the poop got stuck in her butt fluff. Plus she slept on the floor with her man, for some reason. She did NOT have vent gleet, because I did look that up once I realized other hens didn't have poopy butts. She had been dewormed too. They all ate the same feed. I just let it go and honestly I never had issues. The peak number of birds I had when she was in the flock was around 14 and she was never picked on. She was the roosters favorite girl though, so not sure if that influenced picking.

Also if you bring another chicken in, that chicken will be coming in to YOUR chicken's territory, so in one way she does have the upper hand. This may also be why my hen didn't have issues. All new additions were coming in to HER territory.

"So is that enough space for 2 hens? I thought it seemed enough."

yes, that is plenty of room for a few girls, I suspect the other reply thought you meant 4'x4' (I am in Canada so I am used to everything being all confused between metric & imperial, we are like the child of divorce between the US and the rest of the world)

"I really am at my wits end and spending soooo much time each day out in the run trying to keep her company"

don't tire yourself out... she will find a way to adapt. I also overthink the inner emotional health of my little charges, so I am telling myself that as I type it to you.

Maybe if you find a hen that needs to be re-homed you can try them out together, with less pressure on you. Just do the introductions the way they do for budgies. Each on their side of a cage wall, put the food bowls against the fence, once they get used to eating 'together' (face-to-face at the same time) the hard part is done. Eating together seems universal, it is what breaks barriers between strangers and enemies. If they get aggressive with each other, keep an eye, but let them work it out. Once the order is set, they will stop and move on to other things. Normally the fighting is very short, it is only an issue if it keeps happening, or becomes life/health threatening. Then it means something else than just pecking-order.

Also if you bring another chicken in, that chicken will be coming in to YOUR chicken's territory, so in one way she does have the upper hand. This may also be why my hen didn't have issues. All new additions were coming in to HER territory.

Thanks for your reply.

Very helpful and interesting. From what I have seen on-line, some hens do have leaky vents without anything serious or infectious going on. I am hoping that that the territory thing might work in my Beatrice's favour and she has the upper claw. I also kind of hope that just two hens might not be so hierarchical! :D

don't tire yourself out... she will find a way to adapt. I also overthink the inner emotional health of my little charges, so I am telling myself that as I type it to you.

Yes, I know, lol! I try so hard not to assign human emotions to Beatrice but it is so difficult!

Maybe if you find a hen that needs to be re-homed you can try them out together, with less pressure on you. Just do the introductions the way they do for budgies. Each on their side of a cage wall, put the food bowls against the fence, once they get used to eating 'together' (face-to-face at the same time) the hard part is done. Eating together seems universal, it is what breaks barriers between strangers and enemies. If they get aggressive with each other, keep an eye, but let them work it out. Once the order is set, they will stop and move on to other things. Normally the fighting is very short, it is only an issue if it keeps happening, or becomes life/health threatening. Then it means something else than just pecking-order.

Thank you so much for this advice. I have been very busy thinking as I sit out there in the run and now, thanks to all the advice on BYC, I have a plan:
  • Divide run in half with chicken wire. Ensure each half has it's share of enrichment.
  • Get hold of some Anti-pecking spray.
  • Get a single hen - there is a poultry supplier locally which has some 'older' hens still available.
  • Let them live in their separate halves and as you say eat together. Swap sides regularly and even let them be together when I am there and checking on how they get on.
  • Coop - will have to play it by ear, I have ordered a coop cam so will be able to monitor what is going on. If necessary divide it in half too. Beatrice tends to lay first thing before she comes out. Will have to see what new hen's routine is.
Any thoughts or advice welcome. What is the worst thing that could happen? Though TBH, when I rescued 3 ex-battery hens in July...I did not see my current scenario as a possibility.:barnie

(giggle) you are running a women's shelter for battered hens... at least the Karma is good. :jumpy

the 'past' of the chickens may be part of why they were aggressive. The birds I have raised from one-day-old never went without hugs and food, so they are not aggressive, but the ones I got at 20weeks must have grown up fighting for food, because they are very territorial.

your new charge will be very happy with her new life, having her very own bowl and space will be such a relief. But having a friend will be wonderful too. They are very social little things.

Happy adoption ! More love to give. 💞

Having a friend will give her someone to roost with, at the least. I have only 2, and they, unfortunately, don't really get along. I let them free-range the yard, and they always go in separate directions, unless it's cold, and then they snuggle. If I go outside, they come running for love and petting. I think they prefer my company to each other's!

They still bump chests, and try to peck combs, but honestly, I have a hard time telling who's on top. Each pecks the other when the opportunity arises.

The worst would be to add a hen that is a carrier of disease.
That is why the separate runs will be useful. If possible a few weeks, to make sure they are both healthy.

It is a chance we take each time we take in the little ladies. Even when you take a batch at a time from the same breeder, you never know everything that will happen.

My first flock, I didn't know better, I got 10 hens, all of them had bumblefoot when they arrived! and the intensity with which they eat when I feed them tells me they went without when they were young.

best I can do it spoil them now :love

Back
Top Bottom