Lonely Indian Runner Duckling

happyfarmer325

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Central Oregon
We have one lone Indian Runner duckling that hatched in the incubator inside. Now he has no fellow peepers, which seems terribly sad.. We give him a lot of attention and love but wonder if we need to try to purchase some buddies for him. He has learned how to eat and drink and behaves normally, but... Well, any tips are appreciated!!

We have one lone Indian Runner duckling that hatched in the incubator inside. Now he has no fellow peepers, which seems terribly sad.. We give him a lot of attention and love but wonder if we need to try to purchase some buddies for him. He has learned how to eat and drink and behaves normally, but... Well, any tips are appreciated!!
Of course he needs some buddies, ducks and geese are flock animals and need a flock, and even though we can give them love and attention we can't be there for them 24 hrs a day like a flock can. Go and get him some friends while he is still little so he'll bond with them quickly. and let us know how it goes!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thank you, that is what we were thinking. We had one lone hatch last season but it was outside with a momma and several other adolescents so he did great.

If we are unable to find Indian Runner ducklings, do you think we could use other ducks? Or, last night he spent some time with a turkey poult that has imprinted on the man of the house, would he benefit from spending time with chicks and poults? These we have much easier access too.

For anyone reading, we are definitely in the market for Indian Runner ducklings, Muscovey ducklings, and Muscovey hens! We have all sorts of ducklings in the incubator but our last hatch was not successful and regardless, they will not be hatching soon enough.

Thanks for any and all help!

Thank you, that is what we were thinking. We had one lone hatch last season but it was outside with a momma and several other adolescents so he did great.

If we are unable to find Indian Runner ducklings, do you think we could use other ducks? Or, last night he spent some time with a turkey poult that has imprinted on the man of the house, would he benefit from spending time with chicks and poults? These we have much easier access too.

For anyone reading, we are definitely in the market for Indian Runner ducklings, Muscovey ducklings, and Muscovey hens! We have all sorts of ducklings in the incubator but our last hatch was not successful and regardless, they will not be hatching soon enough.

Thanks for any and all help!
If the turkey poult doesn't peck the duckling then by all means let them hang together till you get another duckling or 2. the only problem with chicks is they peck and could possibly peck and eye which wouldn't be good. Have you looked here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/34/other-poultry-birds-hatching-eggs

Last edited:
I did check that out and unfortunately none are immediately accessable. We did find some mallards nearby, which were not my first choice, but worth it for the lonely little guy.

Thank you for the information about the chicks/poults, I was a little concerned with the potential pecking. We will give it a shot with Favorite (the poult), obviously with supervision to start. S/He is very docile and mellow, so hopefully that will go well.

Thank you for all the help!!

I did check that out and unfortunately none are immediately accessable. We did find some mallards nearby, which were not my first choice, but worth it for the lonely little guy.

Thank you for the information about the chicks/poults, I was a little concerned with the potential pecking. We will give it a shot with Favorite (the poult), obviously with supervision to start. S/He is very docile and mellow, so hopefully that will go well.

Thank you for all the help!!
thumbsup.gif
let us know how it goes and we'd love to see pics sometime..
smile.png

aw poor ducky..how old is it? I hatched some runners about 3 weeks ago..they're just starting to feather. ..i hatched them from my incutator..if you were closer i'd let you take a couple so your duck wouldn't be lonely..but any breed of duck will do, my runners that laid these eggs have a flock of runners, cuyogas, buffs and pekins...my other flock is pekins, cuyogas, mallards, call ducks and mandarins....they just like ducks i don't think they care at all about the breed. Definitely get him a friend..they do love to be in a flock..

Our Runner got a gosling friend! Not my first choice, but I love everything with feathers, so it works! They are getting along wonderfully, very snuggly!

7 Muscovey hatches last night! A little too late for the single runner, but so happy to have a solid group of babies now!!

Pictures soon to come!

Our Runner got a gosling friend! Not my first choice, but I love everything with feathers, so it works! They are getting along wonderfully, very snuggly!

7 Muscovey hatches last night! A little too late for the single runner, but so happy to have a solid group of babies now!!

Pictures soon to come!
Great news, Congrats on the new gosling and the scovy babies, look forward to seeing pics. Yay for Runner to have a buddy now.

Back
Top Bottom