Lonely old chicken

Perhaps you could borrow a hen from the flock up the street. Probably the lowest on their pecking order would work best. Seems like it would be worth a try. Then perhaps you could give them both the hens when you leave. Just a thought. I don't think I would move her to a different pen; just the move would probably be upsetting. Sorry you are going through this.

Quote:
This is an excellent idea. I kinda get the feeling the OP does not wish to give out her location to us, so this is a good solution!
Good luck to OP in whatever you do, but get the hen companionship somehow.

I think you could be right about her not surviving being added to another flock. I had one I had to seperate from my flock. I have a clock radio with nature sounds and I set it on babbling brook with a songbird and that seemed to calm her. I don't think recorded chicken sounds would be good as she might always be trying to find the other chicken. Put her in the barn and see how it goes. Good luck

Thirty-some years ago, when my family had to re-home our gorgeous rooster, Henry, he was taken in by a retired chicken farmer who still had a barn and a single pony. Henry and the pony were great buds, lived together in their bachelor pad, had a grand time......right up till the day the weasel got in and killed Henry. Sometimes, companionship can cross species lines. Do you have any neighbors with other livestock that wouldn't mind a new roommate? Just a thought....

mm

I like the idea of borrowing a hen from the farm! That way, whenever this hen passes away, the other one will have somewhere to go where she won't be lonely.

Otherwise, if you tell us roughly where you are, I'm certain one of us would take your old girl! I know I'd be happy to take her and give her a wonderful rest of her life if you're near me. I have a very healthy fourteen-year-old hen as it is, and several over the age of ten.
smile.png
For the record, I've had where I live in my location section for years now and I've never yet had a creepy stalker. I've just made friends! Of course if you're uncomfortable, that is fine, however. It's up to you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom