Lonely/sad Chicken.........Advice needed PLEASE!!!

Litleburgs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Hello...

Not sure where to begin with this, i am new to posting stuff and threads, etc., however i am hoping someone out there can help me out.

It has been a rough month for me with my girls. I started with (3) 7 month old silkies for pets. We had a wonderful summer and everything went great- the girls free ranged, slept in their coop at night and when i was gone during the day, etc., About 3 weeks ago, my special needs silkie was killed by a hawk when i went inside to fold laundry.

This past weeekend, while i was out of town, my housesitter/petsitter said she had trouble securing the coop doors so she duct tape them. (duct tape??!!) Anyways, the next morning she woke up and the coop door was open and my tan silkie, Rosie was missing. All my girlfriends stepped up to the plate and did a mass search for hours (as i was 500 miles away) trying to find my girl and the consensus is she was eaten by a raccoon. There were feathers going up a tree.... just breaks my heart.

I guess what i am trying to figure out, is what i should do now???? Loretta, my last hen, is beside herself. She is calling out trying to find her best friend Rosie and i am just sick to my stomach. I have a crib in the house that i always put the girls in when the weather is bad and that is where i have Loretta now. I dont want her out in that coop all by herself- at least she has the dogs, myself and the kids to keep her company.

With this said, i have looked online to see if there are available older silkies in the area that i can adopt for her as a companion as soon as possible, but i cannot find any. (i live in a suburb of Chicago)

I am hoping someone out there can help me... either by knowing of a breeder where i can find another silkie (as i feel like it is a hard time of year to find one) or give me ideas on something that might soothe her while i work on finding her a companion.

I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my post, thread, or whatever this might be that i have typed up. We are heartbroken over here and appreciate any and all help that we might receive.

Thank you so much,

Mollie and Loretta

I read somewhere on this website someone else was in your situation and they gave the chicken a stuffed animal. I think was even a chicken stuffed animal. The bird slept next to it and bonded with it so much when she finally got another hen she had to leave the stuffed animal in the coop for awhile until the hens bonded to each other then she removed it. It could create another problem later but it might be worth a try to get through this difficult time.

Just looked on craigslist in chicago area. dont know how close they are too you but there are several posting with silkies for sale might want to check it out

I am not educated on silkies I saw cochins and frizzles and silkies listed not sure how close in relation all the breeds are

Last edited:
Hello...

Not sure where to begin with this, i am new to posting stuff and threads, etc., however i am hoping someone out there can help me out.

It has been a rough month for me with my girls. I started with (3) 7 month old silkies for pets. We had a wonderful summer and everything went great- the girls free ranged, slept in their coop at night and when i was gone during the day, etc., About 3 weeks ago, my special needs silkie was killed by a hawk when i went inside to fold laundry.

This past weeekend, while i was out of town, my housesitter/petsitter said she had trouble securing the coop doors so she duct tape them. (duct tape??!!) Anyways, the next morning she woke up and the coop door was open and my tan silkie, Rosie was missing. All my girlfriends stepped up to the plate and did a mass search for hours (as i was 500 miles away) trying to find my girl and the consensus is she was eaten by a raccoon. There were feathers going up a tree.... just breaks my heart.

I guess what i am trying to figure out, is what i should do now???? Loretta, my last hen, is beside herself. She is calling out trying to find her best friend Rosie and i am just sick to my stomach. I have a crib in the house that i always put the girls in when the weather is bad and that is where i have Loretta now. I dont want her out in that coop all by herself- at least she has the dogs, myself and the kids to keep her company.

With this said, i have looked online to see if there are available older silkies in the area that i can adopt for her as a companion as soon as possible, but i cannot find any. (i live in a suburb of Chicago)

I am hoping someone out there can help me... either by knowing of a breeder where i can find another silkie (as i feel like it is a hard time of year to find one) or give me ideas on something that might soothe her while i work on finding her a companion.

I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my post, thread, or whatever this might be that i have typed up. We are heartbroken over here and appreciate any and all help that we might receive.

Thank you so much,

Mollie and Loretta

Poor baby, hope you find a friend for her soon!
hugs.gif

Dear GG-

I cannot thank you enough for all of your advice earlier today and for taking the time to help me find a breeder close to Chicago- that means so very much! I seriously have checked Craigslist in the past and have not once ever seen an advertisement like the one you forwarded onto me today. SO crazy. Anyways, I will keep you posted if you care to check back and let you know if anything works out with this advertisement from Valparaiso- it is literally only an hour and a half from my house- very cool!!!

Again, thank you SO much for taking time to help Loretta and me and for being so thoughtful. So nice to meet someone like you that cares.

Sincerely yours, Mollie

No problem I am glad to help! hope it works out! yes I will check back keep us posted! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom