Lonely turkey?

moeell12

Hatching
Oct 28, 2015
HI all, last spring we got 4 bourbon red turkeys, we didn't know the sex but it turned out we had 2 males and 2 females, I thought I could keep them all but the males started to get mean and in the fall we killed the males....well about mid/end January one fo the hens was hit by a car, it was just awful. So now the other hen lives with the chickens (please I know all about chickens and turkeys living together and please this isn't what this thread is about) so she was very sad at first I even brought her in the house for awhile when I saw her so sad, but my question is can a turkey hen be happy with just chickens, or should I found her a home? I do have a home for her with other turkey hens and toms but I am so afraid she will be picked on being the new one, that is what is holding me back but today she looked so sad...my heart is breaking! Please give me advice!

Thanks,
Corinna

Turkeys are flock birds.

I would say she will be fine with chickens but may be better with turkeys.

You say you have a home for her with other turkeys.

Would they sell you a hen or Tom and then you could have a playmate for her at your place.

If she has been doing well with the chickens for a month and a half, I see no realistic reason to rehome her.

Maybe she just needs more time to mourn her friend. I've heard of birds that are truly sad over the lose of a flock buddy.

Back
Top Bottom