Lonely week old chicks- How to introduce new chicks? And a heating question.

emilygrace

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
First of all, I'm living in a small neighborhood in East Africa. It ranges from 68-82 degrees outside all the time (even at night), but I am looking for a way to warm my chicks up a little bit. All the places I looked online said "buy a red lightbulb" or "put them next to a woodstove," but I don't have access to either of those things here. I have a lamp and a regular lightbulb, but our power goes out frequently, and I'm looking for a way to keep the chicks warm just in case that happens and I don't wake up to catch it.

Second, I had two baby chicks last week, and today I have just one. I think one might've been carried off by a cat, or just escaped and disappeared. Either way, my remaining chick is very lonely. For the time being I have put a mirror in it's pen and am holding it whenever I can, but am hoping to go to the hatchery in the morning to get some new babies. I'm thinking about getting more than just one this time, in case one of them doesn't make it. My questions are as follows:

1. I've read that you should have an even number of chicks. Does that mean I should get 2 new ones, or three (to bring my total to four)?

2. What is the best way to introduce new chicks to the one I have? It hasn't shown any signs of agression toward the mirror chick, if that helps. They're napping together now.

If it is only a couple of weeks old you can just introduce them, watch them so they don't hurt each other, the chick will be so excited to see new ones it should not hurt them, if you can't get chicks right away get a mirror.

Thanks! Mine is only a week old, so it's great to hear I can just introduce new ones with a little supervision.

Does anyone have ideas on heating?

The big issue is that the power goes out a lot. I have a lamp, it's there, and it's not going anywhere. But our electricity is really unpredictable, and I'm worried about what happens if it goes out at 3 am while I'm asleep.

get one of those hand warming packets, and put it in with the chick, if it is cold it will get on the packet, if too hot it will get off.

If you can put bricks in, they should help to retain heat if the power goes out. You sholdnt have a prblem introducing chicks that young, so you should be good. I personally dont think it matters evens vs odds

Oh! That's a great idea. That will at least keep the heat in.

I have added three chicks to the lonely one, by the way, and they all seem to be getting on well.

Back
Top Bottom