Lonely white male quail

DAERose

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Hi,
I have a white male quail that I bought 2 years ago with 5 others as females, but on maturing she turned out to be a he.
The 2 existing males that I had in my flock (currently 13 birds plus this one) bullied him and I had to remove him. I'm pretty sure that you is blind in one eye.
I put an older female that seemed to be a bit of a loaner with him and they seemed very calm with each other. All was great for a few months, but she died leaving him alone again.
It was suggested to put a couple of young females in with him, which I tried, seemed OK at first but after about 3 days I found him in a mess as they had attacked him.
We've nursed him back to health and he is in a small pen by himself at the moment.
My question is, would he be better in a cage situated within the aviary so that he can be with the other birds without them being able to attack him, or would that be worse to be near females that he can't get to.
Bit at a loss on this one, don't want to cull him!
Thanks for any help or advice.
Regards to all.

If he's been accustomed to having only one companion, you might try taking one hen and putting her in with him. If they get along, great, if not, try another hen. Once he's getting along with one hen, you can try introducing another if he's over mating and continue to introduce one at a time.

If he's been accustomed to having only one companion, you might try taking one hen and putting her in with him. If they get along, great, if not, try another hen. Once he's getting along with one hen, you can try introducing another if he's over mating and continue to introduce one at a time.
Thanks for your thoughts, he has a new young female with him today. All gone well so far. It was. The third day it all went wrong last time. I'll be watching like a hawk, fingers crossed!
Thanks.

Try also putting them in a look but don't touch for a week pen first... Introduce them nicely. Then let them out... They may do better. That's how I got bobwhites to integrate with my calis. Good luck with finding him a companion xx

Try also putting them in a look but don't touch for a week pen first... Introduce them nicely. Then let them out... They may do better. That's how I got bobwhites to integrate with my calis. Good luck with finding him a companion xx
Thanks for your tip, will give it a try, he's back on his own at the moment as I introduced a second female to him. Unfortunately they ganged up on him. Life is definitely simpler if you just stick to females only! 😊

Back
Top Bottom