Loner Hens, What can I do ?

Daidohead

Songster
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Red Bluff, Ca
I started with 6 pulets, 4 of which decided to be roos. All got along great as 1 flock. I rehomed 2 roos and picked up 4 more hens. All of my birds are between 6 and 9 months old. My #2 roo is everything a good roo should be to the ladies, #3 roo is very mellow and is happy just to tag along. In the coop or in their run they all get along great, no major conflicts.

When I let them out to free range I have 2 of the new hens that seem to want nothing to do with the flock. They each go their seperate ways and do their own thing. They are not "driven out" they seem to like being alone.

It's not hard for me to keep an eye on a flock running around, but it is hard to watch over a flock and 2 loners. I worry that my loners without my #2 roo's protection will be easy marks for predators.

My question; Is there something I can do to influance my loners to join the flock when they are out n about ?

I have 3 that are housed together who roam the yards each day, along with 3 or 4 of the older gals who escape the run every day. Sometimes 2 of the 3 will pair up, and the 3rd one will wander alone. The rooster stays in the run, so I understand your concern about the hens not being protected.
I cant think of anything that might bring them together except maybe treats. I have tried that, and it brings them all together, but just for a few minutes. Once treats have been devoured, they all go their seperate ways again. It is quite possible the rooster is keeping his eyes out for danger, and if he senses some, will shout loud enough for all the girls, even the loners, to get to safety. When my flock was younger, the littlest rooster once saved the girls from the neighbors dog. He ran across the yard screaming, girls ran and hid, rooster stood screaming at the dog. When all was safe, he ran around and let the girls know it was okay to come out of hiding.

Back
Top Bottom