Loner pullet

Chicachica

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Hello!
Could use some ideas on how to get a loner pullet reintegrated with her flock.
Last Wednesday a raccoon broke in an attacked my group of 6 ten week old birds. They were in a separate pen/ coop from my two older hens. It came in at night, and by time I got out there, it had already beheaded 2 and injured a third.
I was able to nurse that one back to health, but it has been difficult trying to re-introduce her to her flock mates. The older hens and her original flock-mates have been attacking her brutally, and she’s already been through a lot. Any ideas on how to ease the transition?

put up a fence/gate in the coop so they can see each other and get acquainted and are they the same sizes or no that plays a big role too

if it doesn't let up in 1 week you should try keeping her inside of a large box in your house at night for 1 week and then try letting her sleep with them in her cage but I don't know much about it but you should et a lock on your coop as well

put up a fence/gate in the coop so they can see each other and get acquainted and are they the same sizes or no that plays a big role too
My loner is a “Cherry Egger” and the other same age pullets are white (austra white) and a black Easter egger. She’s regaining her strength so she’s not as spry. So- same age but slower, weaker and different color. I think that makes a difference. The older hens have been together with the other three youngsters and have gotten along because there’s plenty of space. But everyone is against this one. I have kept her separate but in view of the others. I have to put her to roost with the rest of them because it’s currently the most secure at night. Then I separate her in the morning before they hurt her. It’s some work!
Thanks for listening!

If she's not spry, I would keep her separated until she's fully recovered & can get away from the others if she needs to. I understand wanting to get her back to the flock but if she's not fully healed & hasn't regained her strength, I wouldn't attempt intergrating just yet.

Back
Top Bottom