Long Island newcomer

pdrobber

Hatching
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking into getting a duck or chicken to keep as a pet. I'm here to learn about keeping them and to help choose which would be best for me. I live in a suburban neighborhood, and have a yard. I have a dog (Lhasa Apso), cat, and tortoises (3 Russian, 1 Redfoot, 1 Sulcata). My name is Peter.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Maine

Hi Peter!
welcome-byc.gif
You will likely want to get at least 2 of either. They do best with more than one
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi, Peter! Welcome from western Kentucky! I agree with the previous post who said you may want to get at least two -- chickens are very social, and really do need a flock companion. If you get two small breeds (either natural bantams such as Silkies or the bantam version of any of the large fowl) they should be very easy to keep even in a small yard / area. Just be sure to make certain they have a SECURE safe coop / house -- it's amazing how many predators there are who LOVE chicken dinners. There are lots of plans on here for small enclosures and coops.

Hi there and
welcome-byc.gif
! If I might, I would suggest a couple chicks as well, they really do better with a buddy! Again welcome!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom