Long Island newcomer

welcome-byc.gif
from South Africa!

Hi Peter
welcome-byc.gif

What part of long island are you from? I moved from Seaford Harbor in 97' to the Gulf coast of Florida

as far as duck vs chicken-----
my opinon-
Ducks poop is larger , wetter ,altogether messier
sickbyc.gif

chicks can be purchased already sexed whereas with ducklings its rare to know what your getting- like us you will prob end up with 2 males
A few breeds of duck like the pekin duck are less skitish - but most chicken breeds are more then happy to be held , petted etc.
either way they are both flock animals and you will need at least 3.
most ducks need to swim which now adds a kiddie pool which has to be dumped often (mosquitoes will lay in it , algae etc) and turtles cannot swim in a small pool with the ducks- increases salmonella/ ammonia in the pool and could make the ducks sick.
also a duck coop has proved to be harder to come up with because they are so big , heavy and clumsy.
duck feed is more expensive and they eat allooot

only duck pro i could think of was being abled to keep him out there when it rains lol

ya.gif
I vote chickens!
ya.gif

We have one male pekin whos been in love with a RIR since his ducklinghood.... 3 silkies , and 3 newbies- SLW and a bantam cochin.
love my duckie but prob wont do it again

JP101010 wrote:

Hi Peter
What part of long island are you from? I moved from Seaford Harbor in 97' to the Gulf coast of Florida

Thanks for all the input. I'm from Seaford!

Thats awesome.
I lived down the street from Seaford harbor elementary school
on Peconic ave- across from the deli... what a small world
smile.png

cant wait to see an update from you when you decide which adventure, duck vs chicken !​

Back
Top Bottom