Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics
Hello, guys. I am new here. I live in Brookhaven Town. I don't have any hens yet. I want to know where I can buy day old chicks in local? Thank you.

Welcome Selchan. The only places local that I know are the two Agway stores, one in port jeff and the other in riverhead but they are done with their chick orders for this year. I was at the port jeff store today and asked. Im sure riverhead is done as well. If I find any other place I'll post it. good luck

Hello, guys. I am new here. I live in Brookhaven Town. I don't have any hens yet. I want to know where I can buy day old chicks in local? Thank you.
welcome-byc.gif
Good luck on finding chicks... Wouldn't hurt to ask at Riverhead Talmage Agway... They seem to be having chicks later and later. I think some people special order?

Maybe you could ask around at the local farms? Although I suspect that they're through with chicks themselves for the season. I know one of the libraries "borrows" eggs from Ty Llwyd Farm in on Sound Ave, Riverhead, for example (the chicks go back to the farm after they hatch) - but that's strictly a spring thing.

Good luck!

Yes, lots of people call selden eastern Long Island, but to me that is up island! Btw, I saw you are in Riverhead. My husband and I both work at RHS. Thanks for the welcome! :)

I'm in Setauket in Suffolk County. Looking for chicken friends in the area.

We (LI Chicken and I) are new to chicken keeping and have 6 delightful new feathered pets and just finished our coop and run. I have a very pretty, and humorous, ~15 week old Buckeye rooster. Living in "Crookhaven", I am allowed 6 hens, but no roosters. I need to trade or rehome "Red", I would love to trade for a similarly aged pullet who is healthy, friendly and organically raised, as Red has been.

Here is our coop and run. We bought the coop from the Agway in Riverhead. We raised the coop up onto pavers to give the girls enough room to get under the coop for shade, increasing the overall room they have. We dug a predator trench all around the coop and run. Went down 12 inches, laid hardware cloth at the bottom, added a cinder block and pavers on top of the cloth and attached the hardware cloth to the coop and run. The run has 4 corner posts sunk into concrete, pressure treated lumber and we used SunTuff panels on the roof.

Our 6 "girls" enjoying a large squash from our garden. From left to right we have Chapman; an Easter Egger, Big Boo; a Barred Rock, Crazy Eyes; a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Pennsytucky; a Light Brown Leghorn, Red; a Buckeye rooster, and Yoga; our Buff Brahman. You might recognize their names from the Netflix show, "Orange is the New Black". They are our "Jail Birds".

Here is a picture of Red. No matter what treat you bring them, Red will get it first. He is lots of fun. Doesn't much like being held or caught, but settles down once you have hold of him.

Anyone want to trade for Red?

Cute! Especially since they have the Home Depot orange too. We have a hen named Whitey Bulger here. Nice girl, not even white, but thought that might make her more interesting.

Good luck rehoming Red!

I've gotten a couple of pm's from someone in Rocky Point looking to rehome a couple of ducks. Don't know if anyone else here has been contacted - but if not, want some ducks?

Back
Top Bottom