Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Pics

conroy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
I read through all of the New Yorkers and when I went to respond to some of the LIers I couldn't find their posts.
he.gif
SO I started a new thread just for fellow islanders...I'd love to know if there are any chicken people around.....When I tell people I have chickens they look at me like I'm crazy.
ep.gif

I'm in Smithtown, Suffolk County
frow.gif

PS I love the smilies

Update on the North Fork Hen House Tour

A self-guided tour of North Fork hen houses is being planned for Saturday, June 15, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. The purpose of the tour is to raise awareness of backyard poultry, to celebrate hometown hen houses, and to share enthusiasm for raising chickens.

The tour will be self-guided; visitors will be given a map with directions to each of the locations and then they can pick and choose which places that they want to visit.
Participants will pick up their maps at the Long Island Horticultural Research & Extension Center at 3059 Sound Ave. There will be a $5 fee per vehicle to obtain a map; this fee will help to pay for printing and advertising costs.

The interest in raising backyard chickens has exploded in the past 5 years and the east end of Long Island has its share of beautiful chickens. This Hen House Tour is being organized to celebrate hometown chickens and to demonstrate how rewarding it is as an earth-friendly practice that supports living a sustainable lifestyle. If you would like to participate on the tour, or if you have a hen house that you are especially proud of and are willing to be one of the sites on the tour, please call Dr. Bridgen at 631-727-3595 or email him at [email protected].

Ronkonkoma, Long Island here!!!

2 barred rock chickens (formerly one rooster)

And two chicks (hopefully ones a cockerel)

I'm from Sayville! I started with 4 hens last year and added 3 more this year. I got them all from Long Island Poultry, he has a FB page and will let you know what he is getting and when. He also has ducks. And I believe you can get 3 not 6 like most places here.

I'm from Sayville! I started with 4 hens last year and added 3 more this year. I got them all from Long Island Poultry, he has a FB page and will let you know what he is getting and when. He also has ducks. And I believe you can get 3 not 6 like most places here.

That's where I got my chickens from. He is great!!

Hi, when I first got my chicks I purchased a small 10 lb bag of medicated chick starter by Manna Pro (at Agway). This was before I realized how much feed I would go through with 6 chicks. After that I decided to buy Agway brand starter and grower feed, at around $12(?) for a 50lb bag (don't remember exactly) and my chicks did well on it. I buy anything bulk if I can (and if I have the room) because cost is reduced significantly.

I live in Merrick Long Island and unfortunately have a Plymouth Rock rooster who needs a good loving home. We love him dearly but the neighbors are starting to complain. We were unaware at the time we got the chickens that one was a rooster. Any help with this is appreciated. We are looking for someone who does not cull

If no one responds, Hallockville Museum farm might be interested, as I think Plymouth Rocks qualify as an American Heritage breed. But I'd think that was a last resort, as you want a home where he'll be loved up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom