Long Legs on Japs.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kerjack, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I recently bought a pair of Japs. The seller told me they were Birchen Japs. They both have a blue-green shine to their feather and silver stripes on the neck feathers. The rooster has more than the pullet. I was wondering if all you experts could tell me what you think of them as per type and such, so I can get a better idea of what the breed is supposed to look like. Also I was wondering, are they long legged?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Unless those birds are worse than hatchery-type, those aren't Japanese. They look like bad quality OEGB. The hen is black. I don't know what color the cock is...

I'm not an expert, though.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sorry, but those are not Japanese.

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I"m so sorry but I agree. The roo looks better than the hen but neither have the right body shape. The hen is definitely black. And if the roo was a jap I would say birchin but he just isn't holding himself right at all, japs make a "U" shape with their body and the wings are held almost strait up and down and should be dragging the ground. Even with longer legged ones the wings at least almost touch the ground because of their stance. The comb on the male should be bigger, almost as big as the little head. I would post a pic but my sons pair is molting and they would be a good example! I am sorry again, they could still be good pets if you have the room!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by