Long molt

My hens still do not have feathers on their backs. I'm getting stressed. Everything I've read says they molt for 6weeks. It's been a few months. I give them meal worms. Sunflower seeds, daily. I feed scratch feed every day. Fresh water every morning. 😌. It's this normal. They are wyandottes.
Do they get a formulated ration like "layer" feed?

Are they laying eggs?

What is their age?

They are laying eggs.. not as much, but 11 hens and i get 9 eggs a day. 10 months old. Yes formulated ration.
I don't think they're molting. They are too young and wouldn't be laying at the same time. I don't know what it is, but I had a wyandotte with a similar-looking downy back/rump year round. Close up photos might help.

I had a wyandotte with a similar-looking downy back/rump year round.
Here she is at 3 years old. We didn't have a rooster at the time.
IMG_0675.JPG

They are laying eggs.. not as much, but 11 hens and i get 9 eggs a day. 10 months old. Yes formulated ration.
That's not indicative of molting.. none of it. how they're all in the same location.. looks like possibly flock antics including mating and'or roost time stuff.. but I would also check the skin below the vent and on the belly to see if it's smooth and light pink or angry red.. rule out possible mites/lice.. and repeat monthly if possible. After dark with a flashlight is the best time to see "stuff", and also not chase any birds.

Meal worms and sunflower seed are both high fat and should be fed sparingly.. Scratch is high energy but low nutrient. Many things chicken health related can be tracked back to nutrition, after genetics. They sound a little spoiled!

Like another poster mentioned.. those messy feathers won't be replaced until they do molt them out.. Which is not super common in their first fall/winter season but can happen. I would expect to see them for a while.

Some folks use "aprons" if skin is being damaged.

They're still beautiful! :love

Last edited:
A10 month old female chicken isn’t a hen yet even if she’s laying. She is still a pullet. (Think teenage girl getting her first menses). She will be a hen when she turns 1 year old. More often than not a pullet will not go through a molt because their feathers are brand new anyway. Your teenage pullets are being mounted by your rooster. It pulls out their feathers. Your rooster will be going through a slow down in his mating duties very soon as cold weather approaches just like your females slow down their egg laying duties.
The pullets backs will heal I recommend getting hen aprons as spring approaches. It helps a lot. Btw if your male isn’t a year old yet then he’s still a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom