Long, sad tale! Lots of questions ?? Likely to hatch??

Madcap621

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Middle Tennessee
th.gif
My cousin set 2 dozen eggs for me on December 9th, knowing I need banty pullets, and I have been SOOO excited!
wee.gif
wee.gif
I got here [Damascus, MD] last night about 9 [after 12 hours on the road, from Clarksville, TN] all excited and with plans to be at her house Dec 30 thru' Jan 1 to watch the hatch. I have spent a week at home getting my brooder ready to pop them in as soon as we arrive home Jan 2 noc,
barnie.gif
The bad news: The 'bator door was "accidentally left ajar one day last week" [day 12, 13, or 14] for an unknown number of hours
he.gif
. The 'bator sits beside the wood stove, and there was a blizzard last week here so it was fired up, but the bottom line is, there may not be a hatch at all!
hit.gif
hit.gif

Has anyone had something like this happen but still got a partial hatch??
fl.gif
fl.gif
Is there any hope at all??
bow.gif
bow.gif
Or should I just start making alternative plans [like collect any fertile eggs available while I am here and take them to Tennessee and hope there is an incubator for sale I can set up]? I had been following the 'home-made Incubator' contest and was thinking of trying to make one, but have no materials or expertise.

I was SOOO looking forward to babies
jumpy.gif
but now am afraid to get my hopes up!! This was to be my dream come true! All bantam and including both silver and brown leghorn, Porcelain de'Uccle, Speckled Hamborg, Salmon Faverolle ............... With enough eggs of each to have a GOOD Chance of getting at least one pullet!
roll.png

If I have to buy a 'bator the budget would be very limited -- probably around $100 to $150 max.

Would that get a decent incubator?
Does anyone want to make a suggestion re: Brand?
What is the maximum time I would have to get fertile eggs into an incubator [from date laid]?
Would I need to keep them in an ice chest in the car on the way home? [I came with hand and puppy warmers to transport peeps for 12 hours in a portable brooder, so left the ice chest home!]
he.gif
barnie.gif

Candle the eggs, and see if they are viable. It is possible they are still alright. I have heard lots of surprising stories!

As far as an incubator for your budget ... yes, check out a Hovabator. I would recommend a forced air one, rather than the cheaper still air model. An egg turner is handy, though you could always turn by hand.

Good luck!

There is still a chance but only time will tell. You can get a decent bator for that amount but I would do some test hatches on cheap egges before you invest in expensive eggs, I learned that lesson the hard way. I have an LG and had good results on my 3rd hatch. I hear the Hovabator is better though. Good luck!!!

Fortunately I am blessed in that the eggs/chicks are free. My cousin's husband's hobby is keeping rare and heritage chickens and these are from his flock. Only one of his houses has extended lighting, tho', so egg production is down, PLUS he is also supplying several home schoolers and 4-Hers with fertile eggs. Hopefully, some of the eggs will hatch!
fl.gif
fl.gif
I would much rather spend those $$s on my hutch and run this spring.
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom