Long staggered hatch***PIC w/ Update***

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
Sorry for the long title. I had 26 button quail in the hatcher. Even though they were "supposed" to hatch on the 16th day...here we are on day 18 with little ones still popping out (2 more just this AM) I have 19 more eggs in there and I'd like to give them the chance to hatch, but I have chicken eggs that need to be moved to the hatcher today. Now normally, I would scrub down and try to disinfect the hatcher between batches..... would it be okay not to this time? Has anyone else had to add eggs to a hatcher while another set were in mid-hatch?

I'm not so much concerned about the big chicks hurting little buttons. I think if any more buttons hatch, it'll be within the next 24 hrs or so and I know those chicks aren't usually in a rush to hatch! I'm more concerned about contamination....but I still want to give these last button eggs a chance.

Any advice oh wise hatching guru's?

Last edited:
If you're on day 18 with your chicken eggs, I would wait another day to let more of the buttons finish up on hatching.

Personally I don't like to add "ready to hatch" eggs to a soiled hatcher, especially if the last hatch was a decent volume of eggs. If it was a really small hatch and very little mess I wouldn't worry so much. But a big hatch leaves a big mess. I would at least rinse it quick if possible. If you still have eggs remaining tho, that may not be possible.

I worry about this happening to me too. I would just leave the chicken eggs until the quail hatch, rinse out the hatcher and then put them in. I have put eggs in my hatching incubator late and they still hatched.
Becky

The buttons didn't leave much of a mess...what if I open it, take out the remaining button eggs (there aren't any pips that I can see at the moment) remove the shelf liner and put in new and then add both the buttons and the chicken eggs back in together? I know it's not as good as a thorough disinfect, but the buttons really didn't leave a mess at all. (Nothing like the chicks hatching.)

Or maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow AM to put the chicken eggs in and just shut off the turner in my main bator?? I'd let them hatch right in there, but I'm expecting a batch of silkies and wouldn't want to set them while others are hatching in there.....decisions, decisions...

I just hatched some chicks and I had just one that was two days ahead of the others. It hatched and I left the rest alone in the hatcher. On the day the others started to pip the hatcher was starting to smell, by the time they finished it was disgusting. I would not put more eggs in to the hatcher without cleaning it out. It is not worth the possible contamination of the later hatching chicks.

Thanks Jody & Jimnjay! I've come to the same conclusion that it needs to be cleaned...I just don't think I can do my normal scrub & disinfect.
idunno.gif
I usually soak the bottom of the bator in a diluted bleach solution in the tub and then scrub it out (and just wipe out the top and then rinse it) set the whole thing in the sun to air dry.

What if I just take everything out, wipe it down with clorox wipes, rinse it down really well and get it as dry as possible and get the eggs back in. And I'm going to keep the buttons in a little tupperware dish off to the side, so if they hatch, they won't contaminate the rest of the bator where the chicks are waiting to hatch....what do you think?

Last edited:
So I went ahead and cleaned the bator...I didn't soak it like I normally do, but I did scrub it good, dried it out etc.

Here's a pic of what I came up with...

100_1191.jpg

This way, the buttons have the chance to hatch, but any mess will be contained. I'm glad I moved the chicken eggs when I did. I candled them as I put them in and at a few of them had already pipped the air pocket!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom