Long tail breeding pen ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by miss heny, Jan 12, 2014.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

I'm getting bantam long tails this year and I would like breeding pens ideas for them. I'm hoping to have at least two pens for this.

My requirements is that the pen can be cat 'proof', most likely off the ground due to the MS mud in the winter. And of course set up for long tails. :D

2. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    I have no ideas for you, but is this your first time with long tails? [​IMG]

3. miss heny

Yes and no...

When I was younger we owned a demonic Phoenix bantam roaster, er rooster, who chased me around. After he started crowing at 3 in the morning.... well he was quiet yummy if I remember correctly.

I'm heading for another breed this time that are quiet docile and are not known for such nature.

4. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    ok. wish you luck! I'm just starting a long tailed breed myself.. so i'm looking for all the info i can get! [​IMG]

5. miss heny

What type? :D

6. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    high percentage onagadori.. they'll be pretty big and come from a nice bloodline. I bought 5 a few weeks ago but now i just got 3.. if you look at my other posts you can see what happened to the poor dears [​IMG]

7. miss heny

:hugs

hopefully all my little guys when I order them will survive :fl

8. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    me too! i was bawling for an hour over the poor things! and it doesn't help that i paid 20$ for them each.. which is a good price but i'm still hesitant to pay that much for something like a chicken..[​IMG]

9. miss heny

I'm lucky to be able (allowed) pay ten per chick and ordering 25 chicks...

10. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    thats great. good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by