Long Term Feed Storage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nh10ring, Jul 10, 2008.

1. nh10ring

nh10ring Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Warren, NH
    I am thinking about purchasing several bags of layer pellets before the prices go any higher. I am confident they will remain dry and somewhat safe from critters, as I haven't had any problems with storing 3-4 bags at a time. Does anyone have any experience storing several bags of grain for long term use? Is there any reason I shouldn't?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I buy my feed 3 bags at a time because that is what neatly fits into a standard sized metal garbage can.

For long term storage, I'd do the same thing - fill up a metal can and then bunjee down the lid. That should protect it against moisture and vermin - the two things that will quickly ruin feed.

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Put 2% DE in it and it will remain bug free!

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Has anyone ever put some wrap on the top to seal it ?

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:i second this. a metal can will keep your feed safe from big critters, insects, and moisture.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not storing, because I have young birds and the foods they need now have an expiration date sometime in August. Be very careful about feed expiration dates, things can go very wrong...

7. zgrower

zgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    If your storing whole grains you should have nothing to worry about if the moisture content isnt to high. however, if the feed your storing has been processed, you lose valuable nutrients due to evaporation. i think the recommended storing time is 3 months on any cracked grain.

also i've read that refrigerating, or freezing still dosnt stop the nutrient loss.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. nh10ring

nh10ring Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Warren, NH
    Quote:What kind of things can go wrong???

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What kind of things can go wrong???

Mold, vitamin degradation, rancidity, insect and vermin infestation to name juast a few.

Jim

10. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I store my food in the plastic Sterilite tubs in my garage and it has worked very well for years now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by