Long Term Wry Neck

Al93

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
Our Polish hen(?)* has had the condition for about a year now. We managed to bring her back from the brink and I had hope she would recover, but that hope has long since faded.
*I should say we're actually sure the chicken's gender. I was pretty sure it was a hen to start with, and I think it has the appearance of a Polish hen, however it began crowing after it had been sick for about 3 months.
I just wonder what to do with her. we have to keep her inside most of the time due to the crowing, so she lives most her life in a cage (although we take her outside for a few hours when we can). It doesn't seem like much of a life, but perhaps she's used to it or doesn't mind, because from watching her she seems happy enough. She manages to eat and drink on her own (although she often struggles and I'm not sure she's eating sufficiently).
However the other day she managed to break her beak - it had grown too long and cracked it, and a large part of it came off. It looked pretty bad but she didn't behave any differently. That reminded me that chickens apparently like to hide any pain and suffering, and I worry that although she doesn't seem to show it, I may be torturing the poor thing by keeping her alive.
I do also wonder if I just gave her the right treatment shouldn't couldn't yet make a proper recovery. We tried the selenium and vitamin E thing at the start, but gave up with that. I'm not sure if anything else is likely to help.

it sounds like you've tried really, really hard to help this bird, but some things are just not fixable. Sometimes wry neck is genetic, according to Gail Damerow Chicken Health Handbook. I know it will be difficult- the harder you try to save them, the worse it is to admit defeat - but I would end its suffering, especially now that its beak is broken. :hugs

Our Polish hen(?)* has had the condition for about a year now. We managed to bring her back from the brink and I had hope she would recover, but that hope has long since faded.
*I should say we're actually sure the chicken's gender. I was pretty sure it was a hen to start with, and I think it has the appearance of a Polish hen, however it began crowing after it had been sick for about 3 months.
I just wonder what to do with her. we have to keep her inside most of the time due to the crowing, so she lives most her life in a cage (although we take her outside for a few hours when we can). It doesn't seem like much of a life, but perhaps she's used to it or doesn't mind, because from watching her she seems happy enough. She manages to eat and drink on her own (although she often struggles and I'm not sure she's eating sufficiently).
However the other day she managed to break her beak - it had grown too long and cracked it, and a large part of it came off. It looked pretty bad but she didn't behave any differently. That reminded me that chickens apparently like to hide any pain and suffering, and I worry that although she doesn't seem to show it, I may be torturing the poor thing by keeping her alive.
I do also wonder if I just gave her the right treatment shouldn't couldn't yet make a proper recovery. We tried the selenium and vitamin E thing at the start, but gave up with that. I'm not sure if anything else is likely to help.
I wouldn't give up on the vitamin E and selenium. Our bird came down with wry neck at 3 months and was paralyzed, she did make a full recovery but it took over a month. We also made her a hanging harness so it was easier to eat food and water. She has had minor reoccurrences but we give her poultry drench and it seems to fix her up. Here is her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ex-need-advice-on-care-not-treatment.1379931/
I hope this helps. Chipmunk is now 2.5 yrs old and seems to be immunocompromised, but she hasn't had wryneck again like she did when she was 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom