long time "listener" first time "caller" (an old Bob and Tom ref)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by snowk, Oct 13, 2011.

1. snowk

snowk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    south west indiana
    Well, I have been using BYC for the last 6 months as I have built my tractors and started my flocks. I guess it is about time that I become a member!

I am in South Western Indiana and I have not even been near live chickens since I was about 5 (grama's flock.) My husband worked on a chicken farm in high school and it has taken me 21 years to convince him that we should have chickens. I have an amazing family, twin boys in high school, a daughter in college, my high school sweetheart, a fierce papillion, and a 90 pound schnauzer "chicken." As for my girls... the first 7 were a drop off. One of my students came to school and was telling me that someone left a box of chickens on her porch?!? Her dad loved them, but by the following Monday her mom wanted to know how fast I could come get them. I have been trying to identify them and I believe that I have 2 Danish leghorns, 2 brahamas, 2 red sex-link, and one golden sebright bantam. After that the 6 day olds that I ordered in April arrived... 2 ameracounas, 2 brahamas, and 2 white leg horns. Finally, I bought some fertile eggs. Of the eggs, 3 black copper marans made it. I live in town and cannot have roosters. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that ALL of my marans are roos :-( One of them was exceptionally advanced and began crowing at about 5 weeks old, unfortunately he and one of his brothers is no more. The third one has beautiful curly copper feathers, but no crowing so he stays for now. I love my girls and often go sit and talk baby talk to them when I get home in the afternoons. (my children won't let me sit and talk baby talk to them any more, but my girls thrive on it) My favorite tricks are to find "sweet grass" and dandelion leaves to hand feed them, and to give them large bugs and watch them run laps around the tractor trying to avoid avian treat theft.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Middle Tennessee...so glad you became one of us...

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Glad you joined!! [​IMG]

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very happy to have you aboard. "Avian treat theft"? That is a new one to me, but I love it!

[​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, snowk and [​IMG]. Love the Bob and Tom Mr. Obvious reference!! [​IMG] Sounds like you do the same with your birds as I do with mine! Big fun! Enjoy!! [​IMG]

8. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Welcome to BYC "long time listener" glad you called in!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by