long time listner, first time caller

buzz2978

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not new to chickens but this our first time with a coop/run/birds at our house (we just bought our first house!) Week 2 at our house and I had my wife convinced we needed birds...that was March 2014, a month ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
9, 7 hens and 2 roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 white leghorn hen and a rooster, 1 golden comet hen and her 2 babies (6 months old), 1/1 hen/roo. Then the rest are mixes of some kind, mostly leghorn/silkie genetics I assume as they are from my dad and that's what was active last fall...;)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Researching online and saw the forums, became a member and here we are...

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Trail running, Veteran outreach (Team RWB), homesteading, hiking, reading, live music and lots of other stuff...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I was raised in a tiny town in Massachusetts called Phillipston, population 1600+/-, also where I just bought our first home after retiring from the Army. I grew up in the woods, hunting, fishing, hiking and raising dogs with my brother and father. We chopped a lot of wood in the summer and had chores 365 growing up and me and my brother both wouldn't have had it any other way. We now raise organic pastured hogs, as well as several seasonal veggies, eggs and soon a meat bird operation. My dad has chickens and ducks as a hobby farm and is letting us use part of his land for a semi-serious operation this year. We did a small hog operation last year and kept some nice breeders for our separate homestead ops for this year. I have 4+ acres with access to an additional 8 acres (family owned) of oak and granite forest about 2.5 miles away. Yes I said granite forest...you need to see it. I will try to take some pictures of my coop and the birds out running around for anyone who is interested. Have a great day!

Last edited:
images

Welcome to BYC!

So glad you could join our community. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock. Good luck with all your projects too.

Thank you truly for your years in service.  I have never heard of a "granite forest",  I would love to be enlightened. 

Think of a giant glacier carving through New England thousands of years ago. This glacier has been slicing off pieces of granite across the eastern part of Canada and the U.S. and now that said glacier is receding, it is depositing chunks of rock from basketball size up to school bus size. We own 8 acres of the side of a glacier valley in central MA that has more rock than anyone would ever be able to use unless you are building a 15th century Scottish castle. Stay tuned for some pictures in the next few weeks...

Back
Top Bottom