Long way from home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Omran, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello everybody, I thought I might have a funny story to share with you all, it started in 1995 when I left home and went to study economy in Germany, origenally I born and raised in Damascus Syria (that is in the middleeast next to Iraq) and when I became 23 years old I decided to go to germany to study and it happened finelly after alot of hard work and saving for the trip.

The University there was very very outstanding, but by all means life was harsh on me because my family back home did not have the money to send me, so I had to go work to be able to pay the rent and live, well after one year in Germany, one day I wrote my best ever penpal a letter inviting her to visit me in Germany, and I really neve thought that she will come from the USA just to see that poor syrian boy, but anyhow she came, and I just knew then that I love her so much, the only thing I never had a girlfriend before and my religion does not allow me to be with a women unless I get merry to her, so I propposed for her after 3 days from her arrilval in Germany, and I know it might shock you but we got married after 12 days, and ofcourse her parents became so mad and mine too, after we got married I had no luck in finishing my education so I was working a full time job in Germany at a power tools company, and in 1999 my wife Angela and me decided to come to the USA because she really got tired of the little appartment we were in and I wanted to see another opportunity some where else beside Europe.

We came here allright, but we had a very very little saving ( about $1300 only) and we moved with my in laws in WV for a month till I got my legal paper going and then we moved to Denver to start my first job with a power tools company, after a year and a half the company moved me to KY for a promotion, and in 2003 I became a proud US citizen I even had the chance to vote twice since then whitch means a lot for me because back home I had no chance to vote for whom I decide because the government there has already decided for all of us what we should do.

So I decided today to share this little story with you, (by the way in 2009 my wife and me will have our 13th anniversary ) and take the opportunity to tell you how you say some words in Arabic.

Chickens == in Arabic is dajaj [​IMG]
    one chicken in arabic is dajaje [​IMG]
    Rooster in Arabic is == Deek. [​IMG]

Hey I try always to write the best I can, so please excuse my english if it sounds broken,[​IMG] hey at least you cant hear my thick accent (( hehehe)))

I wish you all a very successful and happy 2009

Omran.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    What a lovely story!

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Omran, I always thought you were from the middle east somehow, thank you so much for posting your story! And please don't ever apologize for your english, most of us know only one language and I admire you for doing what you did, you must have learned some German, too, to live there and work. I hope your life here continues to do well, and how lucky you are to have a lovely wife to share 13 years with - and hopefully many more!

Kinda funny you are posting from Bagdad, Kentucky! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Thank you very much.
    About bagdad KY , one day I went to sears to buy something and the woman at the store asked me what is my name so I told her Omran and the she asked for my address so I said I live in Bagdad , she looked at me and thought that I am trying to make a joke or do something wrong with her so I said well here is my Driving license, and then she appologized for ever.[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    What a great story! Welcome Omran! You must tell us about your chickens too!

6. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Well we started raising chicken last sommer and we first got 6 RIR hens, 1 Barred rock and 5 silver laced wyndotts, and one rooster.

last month I added a new addition to the coop and builded a 10x8' coop and got 16 pullets and 2 little roosters ( some 8 weeks old and some were 5 to 6 weeks old ) now they are about 12 weeks and 10 weeks old, 12 of them are Buff Orpingtons, 1 Domeniquer, and 5 are mixed between EE and crossed BO and RIR.

omran.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Isn't America Great?

How many kids do y'all have?

8. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Yes Indeed America is my homeland and I am proud of america.

Unfortunately did not work so far, but we are praying and it will happen when God decide for us, but we have 4 cats as real companien living with us.

Omran.

9. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a wonderful story...do you and your wife have any children??? besides the chickens I mean...
    How do you pronounce the J in dajaj??? does it have a haa sound or jaa sound??

didnt read the above post sorry

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  10. Omran

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:it reads jaa.

omran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by