Longtime lurker, first time poster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by YellowBird0, Jun 14, 2019.

1. YellowBird0

YellowBird0 In the Brooder

Jan 17, 2019
    Dewey, Illinois
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking around here for over a year now, and thought I'd finally jump in and say hello! I am a new chicken owner, and this website has helped immensely in everything from when to give chicks grit, to how to save a chicken from a dog attack. Here's my Q/A as suggested in the welcome post. Thank you all for your help, hope I can be of help in return to you all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    My husband and I got our first flock of 12 chickens in February 2018!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    16 total - we had a new batch of chicks this April

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, French Copper Marans, one White Silkie Bantam, and one Barred Rock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    I love birds, so having domestic bird company has been a lot of fun. The free eggs are a nice perk, too. I find them very relaxing to watch and sit with.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    We have a small hobby farm that I put a lot of time and energy into in the summer. I also like to bird watch and run in the nice weather. Inside I am big into video games.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Just my husband and I, and plenty of animals - 3 parrots, 2 finches (lowest maintenance pets), 1 dog, 16 chickens, 2 cattle (Belted Galloway and mini Hereford), and plan rescue a couple donkeys next summer.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
    I found this message board looking for answers to the million questions I had about raising chickens. I joined because this community has helped me with so many medical challenges - hobble leg, egg perotinitus from stress, serious wounds from dog attacks, which antibiotics to administer for what, etc. I think I have enough experience to share my own stories how and give other newbies to chicks advice and hope when they face their own chicken challenges.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have LOTS of FUN! :wee

5. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Glad BYC has been such a help to you!

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States
    Best wishes

Pork Pie

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :frow Glad you decided to join us! Nice to hear that the site has been a good resource for you :thumbsup

8. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki

Oct 21, 2013
    northern exposure Wisconsin
    waving-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif

9. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

10. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    Hello and welcome! I'm new to chickens.... got my first chicks in May and wish I had gotten them sooner. Your farm sounds wonderful. We have a couple acres that I would love to do more with. When my kids are in school and more independent, I'd like to have other livestock...maybe goats or cows, or pigs (not sure yet but something)! Looking forward to hearing more about your chickens and experiences!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: