Look at what was hanging around

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Tinman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    It is raining today and I did not want to let the girls out because they are to dumb to get out of the rain.One snow flake and they run inside. Today I open the people door and they bum rush the door. Ok fine get wet I don`t care. About 30 seconds later they come back in. I`m thinking to myself. Wow they are getting smart. I cleaned up the coop, changed the water, gave them a melon to play with and went outside. I could not believe it. There was a opossum hanging on the fence. I walk right passed it twice. It got caught up in the bird netting. So I cut it loose and shovel up all the bloody snow and now he is being a part of history. (I let him go in Putnam Park) [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    You didn't kill it?

3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    No I did not kill it. I not in the mood for opossum pie.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How far away is Putnam Park? Most likely the pred. will return. Keep locking up each night. Next time it may not get caught in the netting. Bye, bye birdies.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Possums aren't known to be super intelligent, that's why so many are run over by cars, they see a car and play dead. That one would have hung there until it staved or froze to death so you did it a favor. I doubt it'll be back on purpose, they just wander this time of year.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I painted a pink stripe down a coon's back one time a friend of mine released it 20 miles away it took the coon 2-3 days to get back he knew it was the same one when he saw the pink coon. Hunger is a funny thing [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    All I can say is WOW. Thank goodness it did not get the chickens. [​IMG]

8. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Poor thing! Even though it was trying to eat your hens, and was not a welcome guest... still, so cold and wet and terrified. I can't help but have a heart for any animal. I feel terrible trapping mice, I'm such a sucker. Unfortunately my chickens are at a friend's house (we had to move into town) and her son's best friend is severely allergic to any cat dander, so they don't have any barn cats... so traps it is.

9. Nana's Garden

Nana's Garden New Egg

Feb 25, 2011
    WOW! How did you handle the Possum? He looks scary as well as scared! I am so happy he did not get the chickens and that you released him!

10. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I had an opposum lurking tuesday evening. All I own is a single shot air rifle. So I grabbed four pellets and took off through the dead weeds. He's spying on me from behind a tree. Got him with the first shot and he turned around and started walking off. I reloaded and went after him. He ended up with all four pellets and WON'T be having anymore chicken dinners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by