look out...another newbie question about soft eggs

luvmyturkens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
I've been reading all the topics regarding soft eggs and i see that sometimes it's a calcium issue and sometimes other things. Here is my question. Our turken starting laying a week ago Friday. Yesterday, she laid her 4th and 5th eggs. One egg was a soft shell. I know that she laid them both yesterday because of where she laid it. Usually she lays it in the nesting box, but this one was outside of the pen. Her other egg had a hard shell and was in the nesting box. She wanders around the yard during the day but has access to her nesting box. It was laying in a high traffic place so I know that someone would have seen it if it had been there the day before. Anyway, my question is, do you suppose the one was a soft shell because of the fact that she laid 2 in one day?

On another note. She laid Friday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Does that sound about right for a new layer? I only ever had dogs and cats growing up, so this is all new to me. I really appreciate all the advice on here. I've learned a ton in a short amount of time. Thanks to all of you that take the time to answer our questions.

Back
Top Bottom