look out attack chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smom1976, Jul 6, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok so I would have expected it from my EE or my cochins or even my black sex links but my dog who thought it was fun to chase the chickens got attacked

by my white crested blacks .. my smallest chickens.. they weigh maybe a pound.. but all be as soon as the dog walked by it would attack the dog.. it was funny to watch.. I think that the dog is scared now..

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I'm working on training my dogs now, using sound aversion. So far so good - they dont wanna go near the chickens.
    I hope my birds get bold enough to face them down and reinforce the training.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My cats are moderately afraid of the chickens. The 3 chicks I've had since about day 2 don't care at ALL but my new banty cochin is afraid of the cats. It's funny to watch an 18-lb cat running from a 1-lb chicken who's running from the cat.

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I only let my girls out in the evening around 4 pm until they put themselves to bed.. (very handy) when they are out I have a chain that I chain the dog to in the corner of the yard. If the chickens go into her territory then so be it (I watch them all) but when she is off the chain we are out with her watching.

But it was funny because they are my small timid little guys LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by