1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look what I did during naptime today!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ZombieChickens, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Most days while my daughter naps, I clean or do laundry. Today, I was feeling more ambitious. 'Cause I made a feeder for my new coop:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] great job!

Wished i could feed my flocks with that kind of feeder,but i have to many birds [​IMG]

3. shadowman

shadowman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    ontario
    Nap time's are great! I have a 14 month old boy, and his nap time is when I've been building a new coop! I think I can have it finished by spring! I'll have to build a feeder like trhat for it,,,or maybe a couple.

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    thats great. [​IMG] How much feed can you put in there?

5. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I was thinking of building or buying a hopper-type feeder. I want something that's thin but wide and can hold a 40 lb. bag of food. My goals may be too lofty. [​IMG]

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    You will need to make the front higher or you will have most of your feed on the floor. I know from experiance. It must be higher then the opening for the chute.

7. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how much feed is going to fit...I just kinda built it with wood scraps. So the front piece is as high as the opening (it doesn't really look like it from the pic)....is it still going to spill? I wasn't going to use it until I have the new coop ready, and I don't want to be disappointed when the "big day" comes! [​IMG]
    NEW COOP!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Good job!!

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great job! I felt the need to to this one day as well and I ended up just short of successful and I think you may as well. Your front panel may have to extend further down to staunch the flow (if you will) of feed that will come down. You really only will want a very small opening, otherwise lots of feed will pour out. I figured this out after pouring 50lbs of feed in [​IMG]

10. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Good Job! [​IMG]
    Looks good, I must agree with krcote. After 'sitting a few chooks, and using a continuous refill feeder, we successfully finished 70lb in one go..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by