Look what I found in my hay

Snakes in my hay stack is one of my greatest fears - next to snakes getting in my hen house.
th.gif

Quote:
It's more likely to spray you with poop than bite. I think even when full grown it couldn't eat a baby chick. In fact when the hens were around 8 weeks old they found one in the garden and ate it.

Nice picture of a cute snake! I miss seeing the garter snakes we had/have around here. The last one I saw was a few years ago, I was admiring him when a momma crow swooped down and took him to feed it's babies. That's the way it is.
hmm.png

That thing is cute. We only have garter snakes on this side of the mountains I believe, most are small maybe, 3 feet long is the biggest I've seen. I remember once as a kid I found a huge snake. Picked it up in the middle over my head and it's head and tail touched the ground.... Now that I am older... I wonder if that was an escaped pet...

When I was a kid, one summer I caught 17 of those in a day, some had red stripes, some yellow and some green, they ranged in size but none of them sound like they were as long as the one you had silkie.

Nice pictures Dom, that is a cute little guy/gal.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Good ol' garter snakes. My first pet snake was one that I picked up at a feed store for $18 about 15 years ago. I was so excited. The coolest thing was buying tiny $0.10 goldfish and putting them in a small shallow cup of water and watching the snake stick his head in and chase the bugger around underwater until he caught it.

Back
Top Bottom