1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look what I found

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lilshadow, Oct 13, 2009.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I lost a little black australorpe hen about a month ago. I was pretty sure that a predator had taken her because I haven't seen her in awhile. Today I went out to feed my horse Miya, and on the way to the barn I heard some baby birds. We have had a few nest fall out of the trees due to wind. I was in shock when I saw my little hen sitting next to our lumber pile. She wasn't there earlier, and I thought she was gone. The peeping got louder and louder. She puffed up, and stood up and out came 5 babies. So, I grabbed them up because my cats were right on my heels and saw the little things, and I thought oh this isn't good. Collected babies in a bucket, and it took me 45 minutes to catch momma. In the mean time I hear more peeping coming from under the lumber. I search for this little guy only to find him on his last leg. I thought for sure I had accidently stepped on him. I took momma and babies into the house, because it's pretty cold here. I grab a bucket to make a nest box out of for momma and babies, put it in my room so nothing can get to them. Well, momma doesn't like the box I made for her. However, she does like the space between my dresser, and TV. By the way, the little one on it's last leg. Made it just fine, it was pretty cold and as soon as she warmed him up he was fine.

[​IMG]

I got to close
    [​IMG]

She is getting ready to draw blood
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    AWWWW!! Good job Momma!! Very cute [​IMG]

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    What a good little mama! You must be so proud of her! That baby is adorable![​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] good job finding her!! love hearing mircales of babies and their momma being found tonight!

5. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    So am I. I'm glad that little one made it out okay, I thought for sure I had killed it. Glad momma warmed it up. Now just how to tell my DH we have a hen in the bedroom....[​IMG]

6. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    What a wonderful story![​IMG]

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    [​IMG] Congratulations on one great find! [​IMG]

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh how sweet! Glad you found them before the cats did! She's a beauty!

Maybe you can borrow one of the cat's litterboxes and clean it out for a nesting area for her? Or a dog kennel with the door open?

That little baby is precious! What's the dad?

Congrats! [​IMG]

Shelly

9. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Congrats! That is such a sweet story! What an adorable baby-and mom is very pretty, too.

10. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Quote:To be honest, I have no clue what dad is. I have several rooster's running around here. It could be either of these roo's: EE, SLW, GLW, BCM, Australorpe or a mutt mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by