Look what I get to babysit. LOL

I gotta try this tomorrow. The vent sexing thing. So, somebody tell me, how many hands will I need?
smile.png

I did it by myself. I did each duck twice and man I thought I had all females the first time I did it, but then I did it again and I am sure I have one male ruen. I had a horrible time locating the parts the first time on the first duck, but it get easier the more times you do it.
smile.png

LOL it cracks me up (no offense) how hard you're making it to sex a duck. To me, it's easier than sexing a chicken
smile.png
But if the quacks are confusing, just go w/getting one of each, but yes it sound slike 2 boys & 4 girls, so you'll leave your friend w/1 boy & 3 girls, so that'll be one happy boy
smile.png
Also, a pair can get along just fine, but a trio/quad is idea. I have a quad of rouens and that is perfect.
As far as the whispering...from what I gather the whispering/hissing is more of a muscovy thing. The males of other breeds still quack, but it's hoarse is the best way you described it. I'll have to read tomorrow on how the vetn sexing goes and now tomorrow I want to go try that on my 6 exhibition rouens I have!
Best of luck. I LOVED my pekins when I had them, but as far as raising them in mass quantity to sell it just wasn't practical $$$ wise. But for pets, they were awesome!
Kristi

Yes my mallards make a hissing chirp sound but my male pekins sound like a throaty tenor/bass quack not a soprano or alto quack.

Last edited:
A warning about vent sexing. Unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing and how, you can seriously injure or kill a duckling.
It is recommended by top experts (Holderread, etc)that you be taught by an experienced person before attempting it on your own.

Thanks Terrie, I have checked on my ducks several times today and they are fine, but I am very glad I didn't hurt them. I am not even sure I did it right anyway. I think I will wait until they start quacking or wait until they lay eggs.
smile.png
Then I should know!

Back
Top Bottom