Look what the hen hatched! Duck egg humidity Q

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jan 10, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

Zoe and Zack's first duckling! I didn't want to fool with different humidity in the bator, so I put 10 of Zoe the Pekins, eggs under a couple of bantam hens.
    We had some 'issues' with Zack climbing in the nest boxes and trying to mate the little hens on the nests and and 7 were broken, 1 was clear.
    That left 2 good eggs. The first hatched last night and the other has pipped!

That brings me to my question...
    I thought duck eggs required higher humidity all thru incubation.
    Or do they just need higher humidity when being artificially incubated?

Thanks!
    Lisa

2. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Lisa, I have no clue about hatching ducks, but I do have to say he sure is a cutie!

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I hatched a duckling under a broody hen last year. I think the body heat retains the moisture--I'm not sure.

Congratz on the new cutie!

4. Thanks! I didn't know if it was a fluke or if I could count on hens hatching duck eggs (without extra humidity) year-round. That's great!
    I've been setting Zoe's eggs (all under broody hens) right along with (in the same nest as) chicken eggs.

I kept reading that duck eggs need misting and special care, but that seemed like too much trouble to me.

Lisa

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Hey--you don't happen to have any crested call ducks or bantam-sized ducks, do ya? I don't even know if they exist, but I think it would be super-cute!``[​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I wish I had a natural water source. I love ducks and geese. Very cute duckling you have.

7. Yaay! The other duckling has hatched --- still under the hen 'cause it's pouring rain here. We need the rain but it sure makes for a messy morning.
    I wish we had a decent-sized pond here, but all I have are 2 goldfish ponds. Hubby surprised me with Z' and Z' last Easter (feed store had d'lings) and I'd hoped to pass them off to Mom when they were grown (she has a 5 acre pond in her front yard), but noooo, she doesn't want more ducks --- she wants SWANS!!!!
    No, the 2 Pekins are (were) the only waterfowl here.
    [​IMG] If you find any, please don't show them to me --- I don't want to be tempted!

Lisa

8. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I hatch my duck and chicken eggs together at the same time. I jusy use the same humidity as for a chicken. I have never had a problem, I just start my duck eggs first then add the chicken eggs on the right day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by